I hope you´ve all had a good week! I had a bit of a rough week. Well, I take that back. I had a very rough Wednesday and that kind of taints my perception of the week. But upon closer inspection, I can happily report, it was a good week (with the exception of Wednesday–I was very sick and feeling beyond gross).
You all were so kind in your comments on my last post. I guess I didn´t realize how lonely I had been feeling until it all came out there. Thanks for your kindness and words of encouragement.
On a personal note, this week I´ve made progress in feeling more comfortable spending time with C and M and my nephews and not feel like I was barging in too much on their family time. I´m still working on finding a balance there. If it were up to me, I would be holding them and playing with them 24/7. I love these kids. But I don’t want to interfere, and I’ve been kind of sick and so I keep my distance. I just feel like it’s an honor and a privilege to be a witness to so much intimate sweetness. I love these boys and I´m so grateful to have this time with them. I know I´ll always treasure these months fondly.
At work, 10% of non-customer-facing positions were eliminated on Thursday. That means a lot of good, hard working people got laid off. This was hard news to hear. First, I was a little shocked my position wasn´t affected, since my position is pretty new. Secondly, I was sad for the well-tenured people whose positions just suddenly no longer exist. Third, I was grateful to work for a big company, who–despite laying people off–provides them very cushy severance packages, and allows them to be first choice for any other open positions.
And that´s it. We´re a whole month in to 2015, and at times I feel like it´s gone by really quickly, while simultaneously feeling like I´ve been here forever. Enough with the cliches. I´m here today to check in with my 2015 resolutions.
- Portuguese – Michael has the Rosetta Stone on his computer and hasn´t given it to me yet. I could be doing this daily, but I´m not.
- Baking blog – I love my baking blog, but seeing as how I´m kind of homeless I don´t feel comfortable using C and M´s kitchen for cooking or fridge/pantry for storing things, I really haven´t cooked at all. I miss it, a lot actually. I went home last weekend and Michael and I ordered Chinese food and pizza. I could have cooked, but I didn´t. I was tired.
- Increase savings – I´ve bumped my emergency savings up from 5% to 10% this month and it feels great!
- Charity – I´m donating 1% of my income to some needy kids I personally know.
- Car – I still haven´t learned anything, but I´m grateful Michael´s stepdad knows so much. His power steering went out last week–just randomly! while driving!–and his stepdad fixed it right away.
- Free concerts – This is only my second weekend here and I don´t really have it together yet. I did look up stuff and put it in my calendar, so I´m getting there.
- Tracking net worth – If you recall, I realized this was a fiasco early in the month, and have decided to track debt and savings instead (see below).
- Improve credit score – This is kind of cheating, kind of not, but I checked my credit report and realized there was something on there that was wrong, and so I contacted TransUnion, and they fixed it and my score went up like, 20 points. Like magic!
- Good routine – I´ve been to the gym after work every day since I got here (except Wed and Thurs of this week, sick, see above) and am happy to report I´ve lost 8 lbs in about 2 weeks. I´m totally motivated to keep it up!
And so, without further ado, here is my progress report for January:
So I must say this has been a really eye-opening exercise for me. Not only did I reduce my debt by $1910, I also added $2228 to my total savings pool. If I hadn´t looked at the numbers I would have told you, “I don´t know. It was an okay month,” but this puts real numbers on my progress, and gives me a bar to strive to surpass for next month. Not to mention, I also saved for and paid for my husband´s tuition this month. I guess I´m doing alright after all. 🙂
How are you? Any big Super Bowl plans? I´m going by Michael´s cousin´s house. They´re having friends over and her husband is smoking ribs. I can´t wait. 🙂